Saturday, April 17, 2010

Who likes to run?

I have always been in awe of people who love to run. You know the type? Well I've always wanted to be one of those people. I want to put on cute running clothes, lace up my new running shoes (Nick would buy these for me), put on some music and just run run run! Well that is not me...right now at least! Some of you (my many readers...HA) may not know but I've been doing Weight Watchers. My boss told me about it...she had done it in the past and wanted to start going again and hey I knew I would have a wedding soon and who doesn't want to lose a little weight before they walk down the aisle. So we joined and it has been really good for me.

Well a couple meetings ago they announced they were starting their walk-a-thon again. The idea is to get everyone out walking again and hopefully on their way to doing a 5k. I'm all about prizes and they give you a little charm when you complete a 5k. I want this charm! So they give you this little book about how to train for a 5k. It's seems to be for people who are totally inactive. Now I'm a couch potato but I have walked two 5ks in the past so I know I can walk a 5k tomorrow if I want to. However, I know I cannot jog a 5k and that is what I want to do.

So I went home a looked online to see if there was any schedule for training for running a 5k. The first thing I found was "From the Couch to a 5k." This is PERFECT! Sounds just like me. And then I remember my Aunt and Uncle did this before and she just finished running a 5k and was 3rd in her age division. That is awesome! I want to be like that.

So I'm almost done with week 2 of training. During week one you had to do the following 3 times: Start with a 5 minute warm-up of brisk walking, and then jog for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, and do this 8 more times. This wasn't too hard. Then during week two you do the following 3 times: Start with a 5 minute warm-up of brisk walking, and then jog for 90 seconds, walk for 2 minutes, and repeat 6 more times. So far so good. One more day of week two training. Now I'm not saying its easy. I'm definitely checking my stop-watch to see when I can walk again but I wasn't dying like I thought I would be. And the best part is I actually feel pretty good afterwards. So maybe this is why people love to go running. I think the key is your breathing. Does anyone have any tips on how you should breathe when you are jogging? I'll keep you posted on how the rest of my training goes and if I become one of THOSE people.

No comments:

Post a Comment