Friday, February 26, 2010

Show Us Your Life - Collections (Willow Tree Angels)

My mother is the one who taught me all I need to know about Collecting. She loves anything old or old looking. My very first collection was small dog figurines (Go Figure - she also gave me my overwhelming love for dogs). I remember every time we would go antiquing or go on vacation I would always look for a very unusual dog figurine. My most unusual one was a very colorful wood carving from New Mexico when I went Skiing one year with my best friend, Callan. But that's not the collection I am going to talk about today because sadly they are all at my mother's house collecting dust....

Today I collect Willow Tree Angels. My mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer at the end of my Junior Year in High school. While she was going through chemo my Aunt gave her this angel for encouragement -


I remember thinking how peaceful and powerful it was. So my Mom continued to battle her cancer and has been cancer free for about 7 years now. YAY! I haven't ever really thought about it until now but I think that really started my collection. I love how even though there is no expression on their faces you really know the emotions behind them. I also love that there are different angels for different occasions. I have gotten some from my Fiance about Love and relationships. I have been given some from my parents - Mother/Daughter or Father/Daughter. I have some from friends - Sisters By Heart. And there are many others for birthdays, thank yous, praise, and many more. Finally I love that there are also little cards that come with them so you can mark who gave them to you and for what occasion. I think they are just perfect and I probably have about 50 or so and I'm starting to run out of room to display them. Time for a bigger house! Hehehee. My favorite is that I can incorporate my collection into my upcoming wedding. They make a cake topper! So I can't wait to be able to add this one to my collection and every time I look at it remember the day I got to marry my best friend! OK we are getting a little sappy so I'm going to end this post!

5 comments:

  1. I love the Willow Tree angels! I Have some too but I love giving them as gifts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how neat. I collect them too. I'm so blessed to read your mom is a cancer survivor!! My son is a brain tumor suvivor too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.. I love Willow tree Angels too...I want the nativity scene sooo bad.. do you have that? Hopefully one of these days I will be able to get it!! That is so awesome that your mom is cancer free now, God is good!!!

    Have a great weekend!

    Lesli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally forgot about the Nativity Scene. I have the small one and then the large one with just Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. Thank you guys for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Willow Tree figures, too! I have some of the mother/child ones and the Nativity. You are so right ... even though the faces are blank, the figures have so much expression in their faces. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your wedding!

    ReplyDelete